Merhaba dear travelers! I will write about how to go from Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Taksim in different ways and I will explain you the most common ones, from private to public transportation, from expensive to cheap and from fast to long. Here we start;
Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Taksim
Havabus / Havatas Bus
Havabus is one big bus company that operates only at the airports in Istanbul. The company was known as Havatas before.
This is the most convenient way to go from Sabiha Gokcen airport to Taksim. It's comfortable, almost luxury class provides free wifi service and affordable. Price is 15 TRL per person as of July 2017.
Check the Havabus Schedule below or go to their website www.havabus.com
- Be informed that Havabus service stops at 01:00 am and starts to operate again at 03:30 am. Keep that in mind if your plane arrives after 01:00 am.
- Be cautious about the taxi drivers at Taksim square. Read my post about Istanbul taxi scams to avoid being cheated.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport shuttles (shared)
This option is one of the cheapest comparing to others, especially if you are on a budget. Usually, shuttle companies charge 10 to 15 euros per person to take you to Taksim.
- Always check the timetable and your flight departure time! Shuttle buses pick up many people from several different locations. And not everybody is punctual as you are. Arrange your shuttle for minimum 4 hours before the departure of your flight.
- It can be a long journey if you travel during rush hours. Consider packing some snacks and bottled water in your bag.
- If you are more than 3 people, it's no use to pay for shared shuttle. You can arrange a private minivan directly to your hotel for about 40 euros in total.
- If you arrive at midnight, they might keep you waited until there is enough passenger.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport private transfer
Another convenient way is to arrange a private transfer from Sabiha Gokcen airport to Taksim or to Sultanahmet areas.
There are many companies and usually, it costs around 40 euros up to 4-6 people. The welcoming person will hold your name on a signboard.
Private transfer companies use minivans or minibuses mostly. That's really good if you have many bags. They know the address of every single hotels in Istanbul. Or they can at least call and find out the address.
Important notes :
- Get the number of the company in case you can't meet the welcomer or the driver.
- Do not hesitate to ask to other welcomers in case you can't find yours. They all know each other. Just tell the company name.
- Have small notes if you need to pay to the driver directly. They don't have change all the time.
- Have the hotel's or apart's phone number in your phone or show your reservation form, in case driver doesn't know the address.
Sabiha Gokcen airport taxi service
Taxi service is one of the easiest to go from Sabiha Gokcen airport to Taksim . There is 24 hour taxi available, especially at the international arrivals.
It costs around 120 TRL . Check the image below to see how much it approximately costs and how long does it take. Add around 10 to 20 TRL on the bill if the driver uses the paid highway and bridges. And another 10 to 20 if there is traffic.
Important notes :
- Always get one of the airport taxis on the queue. They have blue/black logo and SAW airport taxi is written on the doors. Do not take any other taxi passing by, you might think that they are cheaper but it can cost you twice or triple time, if they scam.
- No matter which taxi you get, always write the plate number somewhere.
- Do not use 50 TRL bills for the payment. It looks a lot like 5 TRL bills. I am not saying that all the drivers are bad but some drivers can change it with fast hand trick and tell that you gave them 5 TRL, not 50.
Sabiha Gokcen airport metro
Sabiha Gokcen airport metro line connection will be completed in 2018. And then reaching Sultanahmet or Taksim will be much effortless for travellers. But until then here is how you should do if you prefer to travel by public transportation.
Find the public bus station after you go out of the terminal. Its on the right side. E-10 bus line passes from the closest metro station. Get in to M4 Kartal-Kadikoy metro and go until Ayrilikcesme station. That's where you will make interchange to Marmaray in order to cross the Bosphorus. You need to go out in Yenikapi and make another interchange to M2 Taksim metro. 3rd station will be yours.
This way will cost you about 7 TRL per person
Important notes :
- Don't forget to buy Istanbulkart if you want to use the public transportation
- It will be a long and tiring journey, especially if you have heavy bags.
- Metro is not available after 12 midnight.
I hope it will be helpful for you during your travel to Istanbul if you chose Sabiha Gokcen airport as your arrival point. There are many options and ways to go from Sabiha Gokcen airport to taksim. It's not that difficult and long as you think.
Pay attention to the warnings and advices of your local guides (it can be a blooger as me, your guide book, or even someone who travelled before), then you will make the best out of this enchanting city.
Let me know if you have any question by writing down to comment section below or just send me an email.
Enjoy your travel to Turkey!