Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Sultanahmet – Best Transportation Guide of 2020
We will inform you about how to go from the Sabiha Gökçen Airport Istanbul to Sultanahmet in this post and explain you the most common transportation ways, from private to public transportation, from expensive to cheap and from fast to long. Sabiha Gökçen is located on the Asian Side of the city.
If your destination is from the Sabiha Gökçen Istanbul Airport to Taksim please read this post about how to go from Sabiha Gokcen airport to Taksim?
Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Sultanahmet
Havabus / Havatas Bus
Havabus is a private bus company that operates only at the Sabiha Gökçen airport in Istanbul. The company was known as Havatas before.
This is one of the most convenient ways to go from Sabiha Gokcen airport in Istanbul to Sultanahmet with less interchange. Comfortable, clean and budget friendly Havabus bus provides free wifi service. Price is 18 Turkish Liras per person as of June 2020.
Havabus will take you until Taksim Square and then you need eitherway a taxi to Sultanahmet or use the Funicular (F1 Tram Line) in order to go down to Kabataş T1 tram. T1 tram goes through Karakoy, Eminonu, Sultanahmet, Beyazıt (Grand Bazaar) and Aksaray.
You can also get on Havabus until Kadikoy. It's still at the Asian side. After that you need to take ferry in order to cross the sea and reach to Eminonu or Karakoy area. Then you need to take T1 Tram until Sultanahmet, Beyazit. This option is more enjoyable if you have plenty of time especially if it's sunset time. So you can watch the sun goes down behind Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque while you are in the middle of the Bosphorus on ferry.
Check the Havabus Schedule below or go to their website www.havabus.com
- Be informed that Sabiha Gökçen Airport Havabus service stops at 01:00 am and starts to operate again at 03:30 am. Keep that in mind if your plane arrives after 01:00 am.
- Be cautious about the taxi drivers at Taksim square.
Sabiha Gokcen shared shuttle is also one of the budget friendly options comparing to private services. Shuttle fees are around 15 euros per person and it will help you to go from Sabiha Gokcen airport to Sultanahmet (until your hotels door) with less hassle.
- Always check the timetable and your flight departure time! Sabiha Gökçen Airport shuttle buses pick up many people from several different locations. And not everybody is punctual as you are. Arrange your shuttle for minimum 4 hours before the departure of your flight.
- It can be a long journey if you travel during rush hours. Consider packing some snacks and bottled water in your bag.
- If you are more than 3 people, it's not very smart to pay for shared shuttle. You can arrange a private minivan directly to your hotel for about 40 euros in total.
- If you arrive at midnight, they might keep you waited until there is enough passenger in shared shuttle option.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport Taxi Prices
Taxi service is one of the easiest way to go from Sabiha Gokcen International Airport to Sultanahmet . There is 24 hour taxi available, especially at the international arrivals.
It costs around 150 Turkish Liras . Check the image below to see how much it approximately costs and how long does it take. Shortest route is the Avrasya Tunnel passage and it costs additional 36 Liras . Drivers may use the other paid highway and bridges depends on the traffic. So Add around 10 to 20 TRL on the bill for bridge toll . And add another 10 to 20 liras if there is traffic. So it usually costs 200 -220 Turkish Liras.
Important notes :
- Always get one of the Sabiha Gökçen airport taxis on the queue. They have blue/black logo and SAW airport taxi (Sabiha Gokcen Airport Code) is written on their doors. Do not take any other taxi passing by, you might think that they are cheaper but it can cost you twice or triple time, if they scam.
- No matter which taxi you get, always write the plate number somewhere.
- Do not use 50 TRL bills for the payment. It looks a lot like 5 TRL bills. We are not saying that all the drivers are bad but some drivers can change it with fast hand trick and tell that you gave them 5 TRL, not 50.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport by Metro
Sabiha Gokcen Airport Istanbul metro line connection is still under construction. Reaching to Sultanahmet or Taksim will be much more effortless for travelers after it's completed. But until then here is how you should do if you prefer to travel by public transportation.
Find the public bus station after you go out of the terminal. Its on the right side. E-10 bus line passes from the closest metro station. Get in to M4 Kartal-Kadikoy metro and go until Ayrilikcesme station. That's where you will make interchange to Marmaray in order to cross the Bosphorus. You need to go out in Yenikapi and make another interchange to T1 tram. Or you can walk about 1 or 2 kms to reach your destination.
This way will cost you about 10 TRL per person. İt's the most difficult way to go from Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Sultanahmet and we recommend you to use this way only if you are on a very tight budget.
Important notes :
- Don't forget to buy Istanbulkart if you want to use the public transportation. Click here to find out where to buy Istanbulkart.
- It will be a long and tiring journey, especially if you have heavy bags.
- Metro is not available after 12 midnight.
We hope it will be helpful for you during your travel to Istanbul if you chose Sabiha Gokcen International Airport as your arrival point.
There are many options and ways to go from the Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Sultanahmet. It's not that difficult and long as you think. We believe that it worths using Sabiha Gökçen International Airport in Istanbul because of the budget airliners always give better price. Especially as of 2020, journey from the new airport takes almost same time as from Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Sultanahmet center.
Pay attention to the warnings and advices of your local guides (it can be a local website like us, your guide book, or even someone who travelled before), then you will make the best out of this enchanting city.
If Sabiha Gokcen Airport to Sultanahmet post was helpful to you, make sure that you Subcribe to our weekly newsletter and don't want to miss the news about things to do and travel advices in Turkey, especially in Istanbul.
Sabiha Gokcen Airport Private Transfer
Another convenient way is to arrange a private transfer from Sabiha Gokcen international airport to Sultanahmet or to Taksim areas.
There are many companies and usually, it costs around 35 to 40 euros up to 4-6 people. The welcoming person will hold your name on a signboard.
We would recommend international trusted companies for hassle free transfer companies like kiwitaxi.com. You can check the prices for comparison by clicking here or on the sidebar banner.
Private transfer companies in the Sabiha Gökçen Airport Istanbul use minivans or minibuses mostly. That's really good if you have many bags. They know the address of every single hotels in Istanbul. Or they can at least call and find out the address.
Important notes :
- Get the number of the company in case you can't meet the welcomer or the driver.
- Do not hesitate to ask to other welcomers in case you can't find yours. They all know each other. Just tell the company name.
- Have some change with you if you need to pay to the driver directly. They don't have change all the time.
- Have the hotel's or apart's phone number in your phone or show your reservation form, in case driver doesn't know the address.